Plein Air Competition
ART OPPORTUNITY – En plein air
En plein air is a French expression meaning “in the open air,” and refers to the act of painting outdoors with the subject in full view. Plein air captures the spirit and essence of a landscape or subject by incorporating natural light, colour and movement.
Make your mark as an artist and share your painting skills.
En Plein Air at Kaleidoscope
Help us celebrate the City of Coquitlam’s 125th anniversary during Kaleidoscope our summer festival dedicated to the arts. Enjoy the exhilarating challenge of selecting a unique location within the festival site and then complete a painting within a 3-hour time frame. Completed artwork will be judged and displayed for sale during the course of the 2-day festival.
Both experienced and emerging artists are encouraged to register.
Preregistration is required cost is $10.00 to participate. The event is limited to 20 artists. Registration closes July 21, 2016
Please follow the link below to the City’s registration page and enter the barcode #: 576500 to bring up the Kaleidoscope Plein Air Competition & Exhibition program.
Prizes will be awarded for first, second and third place on Saturday at 6:15 pm with a People Choice award given at the end of the exhibition on July 24, 2016 at 5:30p.m.
MEDIA AND MATERIALS
Artists will supply all their own materials necessary to complete their work such as canvas, paint, water, brushes, easels, chairs and or sun/shade umbrellas. The artists are responsible for providing framing and wiring artwork for hanging. Finished edge canvases that do not require fames are acceptable. All mediums accepted provided they would be complete for exhibition in the three-hour time frame. Access to water is limited on site; the event will supply you with drinking water.
LOCATION & SET UP
Artists will check in between 12:00pm and 1:00pm in the Story Café at the Kaleidoscope event site in Town Centre Park. Your canvas will be stamped at the time of check-in (you can select whatever size canvas you want).
Location for painting can be on the event site or anywhere within the boundaries of Town Centre Park. Make sure your location is safe and out of the way of pedestrian or vehicular traffic. Set up can take place before the official start time of 1:00 pm.
Registration Deadline – July 21, 2016
Check-in: July 23, 12:00 to 1:00pm
Start Painting: 1:00pm
End Painting: 4:00pm
Check-in: 4:00pm to 4:30pm
Judging: 5:00pm July 23, 2016
Announce Winners: 6:15pm July 23
Painting Exhibition: July 23, 2016 6:00pm to 10:00pm & July 24, 2016 10:00am to 8:00pm
People Choice Award: July 24, 2016 at 5:30pm
Artists pick up unsold work at event July 24, 2016 between 7 p.m. and 8 p.m.
- All painting must be completed 100% “en plein air” during the competition.
- Canvases must be stamped at the check-in on July 23, in order to qualify
- Set up of location can take place before the official start at 1:00pm
- Artists must provide all materials to complete the work and all framing and wiring to exhibit the work (see materials section)
- Artists will be asked to fill out a form with the title of the work, artists name, media and price at the end of the competition at the final check in location
- The City of Coquitlam reserves the right to use images taken of the artist in the field or of their work in promoting the competition. Artists must sign a City of Coquitlam photo release form
- The work can be for sale at the event. All work will be the property of the artist
- Any sales of artwork during the Kaleidoscope event will be done through the Story Café store handled through Black Bond Books. Payment to the artist for the work will be the responsibility of the Black Bond Books following the Kaleidoscope event.
- The City of Coquitlam reserves the right to disqualify works deemed objectionable or does not adhere the rules and guidelines of the competition.
The participant recognizes and agrees that neither the City of Coquitlam nor any individual or entity associated with the City and of the Kaleidoscope Festival can be held responsible for any loss, theft or damage to any artwork and/or personal property that may occur in connection with this event, nor for any injuries of any kind that may occur in the connection with his event.