3000 Guildford Way, Coquitlam, BC Canada  604-927-3000

Neighbourhoods

Neighbourhood Nights

Come out and get to know your neighbours! Join us at these free events every Thursday evening at a local park for kids’ games, family activities and light refreshments.
Be a part of building relationships, promoting neighbourhood safety and creating a sense of community, while meeting your neighbours and having fun!

Past events:

Note: The event may be cancelled due to rain. Check back for updates

 Austin Heights

May Day Parade 1941

May Day Parade 1941

“Coquitlam had a May Day for many years at Blue Mountain Park. We all worked on it. I ‘m not sure why they disbanded it. You knew everybody that was working, and then we’d have a real day up at the park. We had Maypole dances, races, hotdog stands. We had a parade which left Municipal Hall, went along Brunette Street to Blue Mountain and then to the park.”

– Richard Whiting
(Source: Coquitlam 100 Years)

 

 

Austin Heights School

Austin Heights School

“Mom used to make hot chocolate for the kids at Austin Heights School in the winter months. Mrs. Farebrother made the cocoa powder and gave it to mom. She would mix it with water in a thick aluminum pot on the wood stove, and we’d pack it up to the school. I used to help serve the kids. The cost for a cup of cocoa for a week was 10 cents.”

– Donald Turner
(Source: Coquitlam 100 Years)

Join us at Neighbourhood Nights: Austin Heights on July 28.

For more information on Austin Heights visit the Austin Heights Business Improvement Association’s Facebook page.

Central Coquitlam

Crown Land Grant for Jane Munday

Crown Land Grant to Jane Constance Munday, May 29th, 1895

District Lot 359, land that would eventually become Mundy Park, was granted to Jane Constance Munday on May 29, 1895. The Munday family, including Jane Constance, her husband George Anthony, and four of their children (they eventually had 11 in total) emigrated from England to Ontario in 1869. They settled in Sapperton in the late 1880s, but never built on the land in Coquitlam.

There is record of only one Munday descendent ever living in Coquitlam. Jane’s granddaughter Cora married James Alsbury in 1918, and they built a home at 907 Walls in Coquitlam.

(Source: Coquitlam 100 Years; Tax Assessment Books, City of Coquitlam Archives)

 

 

Rick Hansen, Man in Motion Tour, 1987 (Source: Columbian Newspapers, printed in Coquitlam 100 Years)

Rick Hansen, Man in Motion Tour, 1987

“On May 24, 1987, more than a thousand Coquitlam residents lined Thermal Drive Hill to cheer on Rick Hansen as he tackled one of the steepest climbs in his round-the-world tour.”

(Source: Coquitlam 100 Years)

(Image source: Columbian Newspapers, printed in Coquitlam 100 Years)

Join us at Neighbourhood Nights: Central Coquitlam on August 4.

If you live in the Central Coquitlam area, check out the Community Corner Facebook page.

 

City Centre

Opening Day of Coquitlam Centre, August 16th, 1979 (Source: Photographer Craig Hodge, Columbian Company fonds, City of Coquitlam Archives)

Opening Day of Coquitlam Centre, August 16th, 1979

 

“Shoppers from Coquitlam and neighboring communities thronged to the new Coquitlam Centre when it opened August 16, 1979, causing traffic jams similar to those sparked by the opening of nearby Westwood Racing Circuit in 1959.”

(Source: Coquitlam 100 Years)

(Image source: Photographer Craig Hodge, Columbian Company fonds, City of Coquitlam Archives)

 

 

Unveiling Plans for Town Centre Park, ca. 1987 (Source: Don Cunnings fonds, City of Coquitlam Archives)

Unveiling Plans for Town Centre Park, ca. 1987

 

In 1985, Council authorized the Parks and Recreation Director to retain the services of Pacific Land Plan Collaboration Ltd., to undertake the preparation of a master plan for the Town Centre Park.

Council then passed Bylaw No. 1556 in 1985 to authorize the expenditure of nearly one million dollars to build the Town Centre Park Stadium.

(Source: Council Minutes, City of Coquitlam Council and Office of the City Clerk fonds, City of Coquitlam Archives)

(Image source: Don Cunnings fonds, City of Coquitlam Archives)

 

BC Summer Games Opening Ceremonies July 25 1991 (Don Cunnings collection)

BC Summer Games Opening Ceremonies July 25, 1991

 

In the summer of 1991, Coquitlam played host to the BC Summer Games from July 25 (Coquitlam’s official centennial) to July 28 and the BC Seniors Games from September 4 to 7. The events began several months earlier with the official torch lighting ceremony, which took place on April 19.

(Source: Don Cunning’s fonds, City of Coquitlam Archives)

Join us at Neighbourhood Nights: City Centre on August 11.

If you live in the New Horizons area, be sure to visit the New Horizons Community Facebook page.

 Harbour Chines

Harbour Chines - Coquitlam 100 Years

Elsie and Benny Winter in front of their parents’ home at the end of Lillian Street, 1929.

“The area of Coquitlam west and north of Como Lake, known today as the Harbour Chines subdivision, was initially settled by the two Macintosh brothers, Johnny and Alec, after whom Macintosh Road was named.”

“A Coquitlam Chamber of Commerce publication entitled Investment Opportunity, published in 1961, cites Harbour Chines, Harbour Chines Heights and Como Lake Park as “just a few of the developments where beautiful home sites are available.”

Join us at Neighbourhood Nights: Harbour Chines on August 18.

 

Eagle Ridge

Train hauling logs from Burke Mountain to Burrard Inlet (Source: Coquitlam 100 Years)

Train hauling logs from Burke Mountain to Burrard Inlet

 

“Around the 1920s, the Dollar Logging Co. logged on Dollar Mountain, later called Burke Mountain.”

Trains would haul logs from Burke Mountain to Burrard Inlet in Port Moody. The railway crossed Johnson Road near Glen.

– Alice Johnson Lefebvre

(Source: Coquitlam 100 Years)

 

 

Westwood District Girl Guides and Brownies deliver 125 stuffed cats to Eagle Ridge Hospital (Source: Photographer Desmond Murray, Tri-City News June 12th, 1992, File Number 92-2082, Black Press fonds, City of Coquitlam Archives)

Delivering 125 stuffed cats to Eagle Ridge Hospital

On June 12, 1992 the Westwood District Girl Guides and Brownies delivered 125 stuffed cats to Eagle Ridge Hospital for patients.

(Source: Tri-City News, Black Press fonds, City of Coquitlam Archives)

(Image source: Photographer Desmond Murray, Tri-City News June 12th, 1992, File Number 92-2082, Black Press fonds, City of Coquitlam Archives)

Join us at Neighbourhood Nights: Eagle Ridge on September 8.

 

 

Lougheed/Burquitlam

Richard Whiting in his greenhouse on Rochester Avenue, 1922 (Source: Coquitlam 100 Years)

Richard Whiting in his greenhouse on Rochester Avenue, 1922

 

“Greenhouses – which today would be called nurseries – were big business in Coquitlam from the turn of the century until quite recently, when the Kenny nurseries closed. The Whiting greenhouses on Rochester and on Cottonwood, the Pollard greenhouses on Rochester and Como Lake, and later Kenny’s, were the giants, with a number of smaller operations throughout the district.”

(Source: Coquitlam 100 Years)

 

 

 

Vancouver Golf Club

First tee at the Vancouver Golf Club, 1915

“Before we were married, I guess when he was a teenager, Emmanuel caddied at Vancouver Golf Club, and to begin with, all he got was 50 cents a day, and then later, $1.50 a day. Golf was his sport; he just loved to play golf and did so whenever he could.”

– Vivian Ostrom Bouthot
(Source: Coquitlam 100 Years)

(Image source: copy, Don Cunnings fonds, City of Coquitlam Archives)

Join us at Neighbourhood Nights: Burquitlam on July 14 and Neighbourhood Nights: Lougheed on August 25.

Check out the Burquitlam Community Association’s Facebook page for more information on the neighbourhood.

 

 

Maillardville

Father Maillard

Father Maillard

“All the social life in Maillardville centered around the church – card parties, bazaars for raising money – just like back home. Church was held in the basement, school upstairs. Father Maillard, a young man of maybe 25, was in charge of everything. Father Maillard was from New Westminster, and at first, he came up only on Sundays. Soon he stayed here all the time. He was a nice man, not very strict, well-educated. He could put up a sermon like I’d never seen.”

– Rodolphe Boileau
(Source: Coquitlam 100 Years)

 

 

Mackin House, ca. 1910-1920 (Source: Coquitlam Heritage Society collection, City of Coquitlam Archives)

Mackin House, ca. 1910-1920

“To accommodate the influx of labourers, the company decided to build housing. The Ryan House (now the Place des Arts building) and Mackin House were built in 1909 and were reserved for the company’s first and second-in-command, respectively. Due to their location and prestige, the houses were known as ‘Mansions on the Hill.’”

(Source: Coquitlam Heritage Society website, “Mackin House’s History”)

(Image source: Coquitlam Heritage Society collection, City of Coquitlam Archives)

 

 

Emeri Paré 1916

Emeri Paré, Police Chief for Coquitlam, 1916

In January 1914, Emeri Paré was appointed Police Chief at a rate of $75 per month. In addition to his police work, Paré was charged with administering the volunteer fire brigade and maintaining the jail, which was in the back of his house on Brunette St.

(Source: Council Minutes, January 19, 1914 and May 6, 1914. City of Coquitlam Council and Office of the City Clerk fonds, City of Coquitlam Archives)

(Image source: Coquitlam Heritage Society collection, City of Coquitlam Archives)

Join us at Neighbourhood Nights: Maillardville on September 1.

Also visit the Maillardvilleittes Facebook page for more information on the Maillardville neighbourhood.

 

Northeast Coquitlam

Skiers use a rope tow on Burke Mountain, ca. late 1960s (Source: Columbian Newspaper, Coquitlam 100 Years)

Skiers use a rope tow on Burke Mountain, ca. late 1960s

“A rope tow was set up on Burke Mountain in the late 60s, raising hopes among many local skiers that the mountain would be developed into a viable ski resort. The resort, however, only operated for two years”

(Source: Coquitlam 100 Years)

(Image source: Columbian Newspaper, Coquitlam 100 Years)

Northeast Coquitlam has some great neighbourhood groups. Check out the Burke Mountain Community Facebook pagethe Northeast Coquitlam Ratepayers Association’s Facebook page and the River Springs Community page for more neighbourhood information.

 

 

Minnekhada Ranch, 1982 (Source: Photographer Basil King, Columbian Company fonds, City of Coquitlam Archives)

“He was working at Minnekhada as a carpenter when the big fire came through. That was in 1914, soon after I was born on the homestead. Terrible fire. It started behind Minnekhada, down the mountain road there, and before my father could make it back to where we lived, at the top of Pollard Road, the fire had just jumped a mile at a time and it was coming right through. They saved our house, but even the garden vegetables were burned.”

(Source: Coquitlam 100 Years)

(Image source: Photographer Basil King, Columbian Company fonds, City of Coquitlam Archives)

– Margaret Pollard McLaren

Join us at Neighbourhood Nights: Northeast Coquitlam on July 21.

 

Ranch Park

Protesting the plans to reroute Lougheed Highway, 1972 (Source: Columbian Newspapers photograph, Coquitlam 100 Years)

Protesting the plans to reroute Lougheed Highway, 1972

John Symons, who was president of the Ranch Park Ratepayers Association in the early ’70s, remembers, “In those days, Ranch Park was a rural subdivision, there were goats on Norman Avenue, just north of Riverview was a small farm, and the bypass was slated to go right through its fields.

“We held a picnic/protest with about 50 to 100 people and told Premier Barrett that his government talked of preserving agricultural land, yet here it was being destroyed. The real reason for the bypass and related construction wasn’t evident until much later, when the Coquitlam Centre began construction.”

(Source: Coquitlam 100 Years)

(Image source: Columbian Newspapers photograph, Coquitlam 100 Years)

Join us at Neighbourhood Nights: Ranch Park on July 7.

If you’re from the Ranch Park neighbourhood, check out the Ranch Park Elementary Facebook page.

 

River Heights

Colony Farm Main House, Feed Barn, and Essondale’s West lawn in background, ca. 1912 (Source: Riverview Hospital Historical Society collection, City of Coquitlam Archives)

Colony Farm, ca. 1912

 

Essondale’s Male Chronic Wing (later known as West Lawn) opened on April 1, 1913 and received 340 male patients from the Public Hospital for the Insane in New Westminster. By the end of 1913, there were over 450 patients in the new building.

In 1904, the Province set aside 1000 acres of land within the District of Coquitlam to provide treatment for the mentally ill. Work began in 1909 on the Hospital for the Mind at Mount Coquitlam, later named Essondale.

The grounds of the new facility included Colony Farm, which was seen as an enterprising and unique experiment for the treatment of the insane. Patients would work on the farm as a form of treatment, which would also serve as training for employment once they were released. By 1911, Colony Farm was thriving and already considered the best in Western Canada. It was known for its prize Clydesdale horses and Holstein cattle.
                                                                         (Source: Riverview Hospital: A Legacy of Care & Compassion, British Columbia Mental Health and Addiction Services, 2009)
                                                                         (Image source: Riverview Hospital Historical Society collection, City of Coquitlam Archives)

Join us at Neighbourhood Nights: River Heights on June 23.

Westwood Plateau

Jacques Villeneuve Sr. races at Westwood Racetrack, 1980 (Source: Photographer Craig Hodge, Columbian Company fonds, City of Coquitlam Archives

Jacques Villeneuve Sr. races at Westwood Racetrack, 1980

Westwood Racing Circuit held its first race on July 26, 1959.

The track was built by the Sports Car Club of British Columbia and was financed through the sale of debentures to members and enthusiasts. Westwood was the first permanent, purpose-built road circuit in Canada.

Westwood Racing Circuit held its final race on October 8, 1990. The track was replaced with a housing development where many of the streets have motorsports-related names or are named after former parts of the track. Examples include Firestone Place, Moss Court, Deer’s Leap Place, Paddock Drive, and Carousel Court.

(Source: Tom Johnston, Westwood: Everyone’s Favourite Racing Circuit, Granville Island Publishing, 2006)

(Image source: Photographer Craig Hodge, Columbian Company fonds, City of Coquitlam Archives)

Join us at Neighbourhood Nights: Westwood Plateau on June 30.

If you live in the neighbourhood, be sure to visit the Westwood Plateau Community Facebook page.

125 Block Party Challenge

This year we’re challenging all Coquitlam residents to host 125 block parties to celebrate Coquitlam’s 125th anniversary.

Block Parties are a chance for neighbours, friends and family to connect and spend time together. They are a great way for the community to get know their neighbours, build new friendships, and enhance the safety and awareness of their neighbourhood and community. They are also a great opportunity for families and friends to take a break from their routine, and spend some much needed fun time together. Check out the 125 Block Party Challenge page for more details!

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This